One hundred forty nine years ago, the Battle of Shiloh took place in western Tennessee during the civil war on April 6 and 7. Since we had nothing planned for today, we started by driving to Corinth, MS where we visited the Corinth Civil War Interpretive Center.
This National Park center describes, through signs and two movies, the battle for the two railroads that intersect in the middle of town. The US armies grouped around the Pittsburg landing on the Tennessee river, and the Confederates around Corinth. This is Pittsburg landing today.
We then drove to the Visitor Center at the Shiloh Battlefield.
We ate lunch at a picnic area in the park with a nice view of Dogwood trees.
The Battle of Shiloh is named after a log church that was built about two miles from Pittsburg Landing. Shiloh was the first battle with huge casualties on both sides (approximately 10K Confederates, and 13K US troops), The battle raged for two days, and, after it ended, US Grant had the dead from both sides buried in mass grave trenches. The Confederates remain buried in the mass graves.
The Confederates moved back to Corinth, MS, and in May the US troops came to lay siege, but the Confederates headed south again. Confederate troops attacked Corinth in October of 1862, and were defeated again. Corinth remained in Union hands until abandonment in 1864.
We had a very good day.